Showcase Sunday (41): *hyperventilates*

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicki at Books, Biscuits, and Tea, where we showcase what books we've gotten over the course of the week, whether it be bought, received from the library, from the publishers for review, etc.

For Review:



Panic by Lauren Oliver [Coverless]


All That Glows: I haven't read very many stories of the Fae, but I have liked what I've read, so I'm looking forward to this one! Also, Fae with British history influences? Count me in! (Though the last sentence of the synopsis on Goodreads scares me a lot--"For despite all her powers, Emrys has discovered a force that burns brighter than magic: love." Whyyyyy? 

Elusion: I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS ONE. It sounds like what Under the Never Sky would be if it focused more on life inside the pods, and that just sounds so fascinating and awesome. AND THE COVER. 

Perfect Lies: Okay, so I intensely disliked Mind Games. But curiosity got the best of me with this one when I saw it downloadable, and I snatched it. I also started it immediately with a "let's-get-this-over-with" mindset and honestly, it's really not that bad. Not bad at all, actually. I wouldn't say I like it so far just yet, but what I can say is that it is definitely an improvement upon Mind Games. Maybe this one was written in ten days as opposed to Mind Game's nine. 

Dear Killer: This is about a serial killer, and the end of the synopsis says it's a psychological thriller, so YES PLEASE.

House of Ivy & Sorrow: I didn't like Transparent all too much. But I really, really like witches. So I'm giving Natalie Whipple a second shot and am going into this one with a good amount of anticipation. WITCHES!

Her Dark Curiosity: !!!!!!!!!! I loved The Madman's Daughter, and after the heartbreakingly awful cliffhanger it ended on, Her Dark Curiosity easily became one of my most highly anticipated 2014 releases. SO EXCITED. Fingers crossed it doesn't end on another heartbreaking and awful cliffhanger.

Fake ID: This is about...a criminal teen? I don't know much about it, honestly. I just skimmed the synopsis. From what I've gathered it sounds interesting, the title intrigues me, and the last sentence about the killer possibly being the MC's father sounds awesome, so I have high hopes for this one!

Avalon: I liked Mindee Arnett's debut The Nightmare Affair well enough, and have kept an open mind towards reading her other novels, and this sounds awesome awesome awesome. Spaceships! Teenage mercenaries! JOSS WHEDON IS IN THE SYNOPSIS!

Cruel Beauty: Beauty and the Beast? Um yes please. 

The Promise of Amazing: I have a feeling this one will be either incredibly adorable or insufferably cheesy and cliché, but I guess I'll have to find out which one it is once I read it!

No One Else Can Have You: This sounds like SO. MUCH. FUN. Seriously. A murder mystery? And in a small town? Want. Want want want. 

Not A Drop To Drink: I've been dying to read this one for a while, and I'm so excited to finally be able to get around to it. I've been meaning to read an awesome and original dystopian novel lately, and this sounds like just that. (And it's got awesome reviews to back it up.)

Uninvited: A gene that classifies you as a murderer? The Scarlet Letter meets Minority Report? Now that just sounds too good to pass up. 

Chasing Shadows: Ah, a good old-fashioned revenge story dealing with grief and insanity. I've been craving one of those since Premeditated, so I can't wait to get to this. I hope it whets my revenge story appetite!

Pieces of Me: I'll be honest, I wasn't too sure about this one at first. It sounded a bit too wacky and the synopsis alone confused me, but I figured I would at least give it a shot, and if it is as weird and confusing as the synopsis initially suggested, I'll abandon it. 

Panic: I wasn't a huge fan of Delirium, but I loved her prose in it, and the main downfall for Delirium was my lack of connection to the plot, characters, and I found the pacing to be too slow, but I hope those won't be issues with Panic. Based on the synopsis, I think it's safe to say a lack of connection with the plot won't be an issue for me, nor will slow pacing, but I hope I can connect to the characters.

HUGE thank you to HarperTeen for all the awesome titles!

What did you get this week? Let me know in the comments, or leave a link to your haul, and I'll check it out as soon as possible!

12 comments :

  1. MY JEALOUSY IS OOZING OUT EVERYWHERE. YOUR HAUL IS ADFDDSFSD *prays to the Harper gods that they give me all the things or at least some or ONE of the things*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately went to Edelweiss to get the goods - SQUEE - *reads PANIC*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edelweiss nearly killed me this week, there was just so many pretties that I couldn't help but download a lot of them either. The Promise of Amazing sounds so cute and I didn't grab a copy of Cruel Beauty yet, but a lot of reader have been really enthusiastic about it! I want to start all of these books right away! I hope you enjoy every single one of them Blythe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a haul! Can't wait to hear what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flails with jealousy! AHHH I can't wait to hear what you think of them all. Just awesome haul. (fingers crossed I get approved for the Harper titles)

    My Friends Are Fiction's SS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see you enjoyed getting whitelisted.

    Fun fact: before the official jacket copy came out, the small description of the book described Emrys as a "Kate Middleton-esque fairy" (if you didn't already know). That is entirely foreboding and that means I have to read it/give it a shot. If it gives me the closest thing to a literal manic pixie dream girl I'll ever get, the world will be good for a moment.

    Also, if you like witches and that's why you're going to read House of Ivy and Sorrow? Pick up Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood. There's instalove and almost no plot, but the witchy sisters are well-developed, it's got all the feminism, it's one of the most diverse historical fantasies I've ever read, and it's just really fucking good. It needed more witchery, though. Maybe book two (which I bought not even two hours later) will have it.

    About Her Dark Curiosity: *spoiler spoiler* *spoiler spoiler spoiler *SPOILERIFIC* That's all. ;)

    I don't trust Uninvited and its BS science premise (which is also partially shares with The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse), so I'm going to poke it for a while.

    Also, YOU GOT WHITELISTED BUT DIDN'T PICK UP ASK AGAIN LATER? SHAME. I want to read it right now because adorable contemporary YA with magical realism, but I can't. Damn it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You scored so big! Yay for all of your books!
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing week, I'm really jealous. I would love to read almost every one of those books, especially Uninvited, Perfect Lies, and Panic. Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I count five books that I would kill for. This is a GREAT haul, and I'll be excited to read your reviews (O M G YOU HAVE CHASING SHADOWS....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha!! I got a ton of the Harper titles too!! They all sound so fabulous!! Awesome haul hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like someone got auto-approved! My goal is to work REALLY hard this week on getting caught up and a bit ahead on my fall titles so next week can be "treat myself to some Harper titles" week. It's KILLING ME seeing so many people with these titles. GUH.

    Happy happy reading, Blythe. Really looking forward to your thoughts on some of these!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to getting whitelisted! Panic is now officially gone from EW. I'm sure I'm about to get rejected for it when it says "expired" already.

    I'm looking forward to reading what you think about the HOUSE OF IVY & SORROW. My thoughts align with yours on that end. And also, what you think of NOT A DROP TO DRINK - I have that and haven't started reading it yet. Maybe we can compare notes when you start.

    So many titles. So much good reading ahead for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!