Coming Attractions: Maybe One Day

Coming Attractions is inspired by The Perpetual Page Turner's Save The Date. Coming Attractions showcases a book that is not released for a while that I've read, and gives you a sneak peek (like a pre-review, if you will) as to what I thought about the book, since I can't post the review until closer to the release date.

Maybe One Day
Melissa Kantor
Series: None
Release Date: February 18, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: 4 stars
Word Rating: Must. Stop. Crying.
Full review to come: February
Reviewed by: Mel

Add to Goodreads

Critically acclaimed author Melissa Kantor masterfully captures the joy of friendship, the agony of loss, and the unique experience of being a teenager in this poignant new novel about a girl grappling with her best friend's life-threatening illness.

Zoe and her best friend, Olivia, have always had big plans for the future, none of which included Olivia getting sick. Still, Zoe is determined to put on a brave face and be positive for her friend.

Even when she isn't sure what to say.

Even when Olivia misses months of school.

Even when Zoe starts falling for Calvin, Olivia's crush.

The one thing that keeps Zoe moving forward is knowing that Olivia will beat this, and everything will go back to the way it was before. It has to. Because the alternative is too terrifying for her to even imagine.

In this incandescent page-turner, which follows in the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars, Melissa Kantor artfully explores the idea that the worst thing to happen to you might not be something that is actually happening to you. Raw, irreverent, and honest, Zoe's unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.


This book. Wowza. Just...gosh. If you are looking for a book with an achingly beautiful friendship, this is the one to seek out. Also, if you are interested in a little bit of insanely sweet romance, this is also the book to get. And if you want to be thrown off your feet; this one is your book. Read it and you won't be sorry.

What didn't work for me:


THE CONSTANT CRYING: I get it. Your best friend has leukaemia and you feel absolutely hopeless. What do you do? You cry. That is perfectly okay. Touching even. But when you start crying because you made someone else cry or just crying for the slightest little problem is just plain annoying. And very wimpy. And not pitiful at all.

What did work for me:


THE FRIENDSHIP: This, ladies and gents is how you write a good friendship. Zoe and Olivia's friendship was heart-achingly deep and genuine. We all have friends, but there are only one or two that we can spill everything; our troubles, thoughts, fears and passions towards. To be honest, I felt like crying halfway just because it was so authentic and I could completely relate to their relationship. I have a best friend that I treat like I sister, so when I read this, I was completely immersed. This friendship of Zoe and Olivia's had flaws. They have fights. But they soon forget and forgive after realising how stupid the fight was. This friendship had me in more fangirling moments than I normally do when I start shipping a romantic couple.

THE ROMANCE: Melissa Kantor's latest novel is not about finding your true love. It's about friendships and futures and hope. It's about finding strength to live even though the thing you loved most is no longer by your side. Yet I still couldn't help but love the romance in Maybe One Day. It may start with a bit of lust but the feeling between the two soon catch up and seriously, Melissa Kantor nailed the romance and what it's like when one of them is experiencing a difficult time to cope with the world around them.

PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING: My main two loves was the friendship and romance but everything else that was combined into this novel was pretty much close to perfection. The characters, all so deftly drawn and easily distinguishable grew onto me like a leech.

This is my first 2014 favourite, and I have a feeling it could be one of the best I'll ever read.

Full review to come on the blog in February.

8 comments :

  1. I heard that this one is a tear jerker! It's such a pain that it doesn't pub until next year, I want to read it now! I don't mind too much crying, some characters are just sensitive. So glad that romance steps back a bit for once! Lovely review Mel ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grabbed a copy of this a while ago, so I'm happy to see your enthusiasm for this book Melanie. I love a book with a strong friendship, it's so hard to find these days, so I'm extremely looking forward to getting to know Zoe and Olivia. Also you know I'm a sucker for a sweet romance and the way you've described the one in this book, makes me want to pick up this book a lot sooner! Thanks for sharing a great post with us Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of this. I'm really into the whole strong female friendships in YA right now rather than just a true love romance. This sounds perfect! "The Fault in Our Stars" comparison scares me though. TFIOS was so sad! And I don't want to cry too much, even though the blurb is kind of a warning since it's about a terminal illness -- oh what the hell, I think I'm going to buy it. You sold me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it last week and oh boy there was a whole lotta crying going on.I did a lot of serious ugly crying.Loud ugly crying too. I haven't read TFIOS yet but I have a feeling that I probably will cry a LOT when I do get to it. But anyway, I loved this one a lot.The romance was only an inkling. I LOVED that so much emphasis was on the friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one to read and am so happy you enjoyed it so much. I'll have to pick it up ASAP now so I can experience it for myself!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh glad you really enjoyed it Mel. It sounds like an emotional, sad read and the crying would get to me after a while. I look forward to your review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one from Edelweiss! I guess I ought to get on with it, huh? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds awesome!! I have it for review and can't wait to get to it. I love when a friendship is done really well. I know this one will make me cry. And a 2014 fave!! Yes! I am super excited for this one now!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!